Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Not the Sharpest Pencil in the Drawer

Have you ever had an overly friendly neighbor?

Let me introduce you to our new neighbor, I've met her twice.

First time, I had the kids out in the car and it was on. I ran in for sippy cups and heard this knock on my screen door. My heart leaped as I thought, who just walked passed my perfectly gift wrapped car readily equipped with my most prized possessions? When you live near questionable characters you have to think these things. It was this neighbor announcing her unusual purchase of the home across the street for her 18 year old college kid and to avoid commuting from Wickenburg 3 days per week so her 10 year old can ice skate.

Next encounter? Today!!

It is not even 8 am. Little Brian has been prepared to walk out the door for school. I am still in my comfort wear. Let's be honest here, I'm in my underwear and I was certainly not poised for a social interaction!

Little Brian responds to the knock on the screen door as I dart to my room for clothes that would suit a face to face interaction. This little neighbor woman is speaking in her loudest of voices, "Can I use your pencil sharpener? We are trying to write on dry wall and we need a pencil sharpener."

Brian responds, "I am actually leaving for school right now."

So I poked my head around the corner to call out, "Sure, just a minute."

I rush back into my room, grab a shirt and pants, once the pants are on I am just moments from having my shirt on when I hear my neighbor shockingly close. Yeah, here she is near my bedroom door staring straight in babbling along about pencils and almost using a knife to sharpen them!!! Seriously, is all of this about pencils? I think, as I continue to put my shirt on while my neighbor watches.

I made a casual comment about lounging around in the morning. All the while pretending it did not shock the Hell out of me that this woman had barged in my home and observed me with my shirt off.

I can't help but wonder:
  1. What person on the planet does not realize if the adult does not answer the door immediately in the morning they might be getting dressed.


  2. Since when do strangers feel confident strolling into a door opened by a child?


  3. Why haven't I taught Brian never to allow a stranger into the house?


  4. Wouldn't you know the neighbor would pick one of the only 2 school days this year that I wasn't dressed at 7:55am?


  5. Perhaps there is nothing worse than a friendly neighbor!


My final thoughts:


This day is off to an awesome start!


God Bless my in-laws for that swift electric pencil sharpener!!! Can you imagine manually sharpening 6 pencils after just providing a free show to your neighbor, who is close enough to smell your morning breath?



21 comments:

Bubba the Hutt said...

Did she at least pay you for the show? If not, that's just downright rude.

Denise said...

1. Your husband is funny.
2. Your neighbor is very weird, you're right.
3. Tomorrow will be better. How could it not be?

Nash said...

oh my gosh. we just met our neighbors (after 2 yrs) and then there little girl wanted to play at our house every day. i just can't deal with that so often. i think i offended them (cause i was asleep once and didn't let my kids answer the door). now she doesn't come and i don't know what to do.

put a big LOCK on your front door?
congrats on your tri!

JamieLynn said...

You are reading this all wrong....this lady thinks your hot and did this on purpose. Everybody knows that if you accidentally walk in on someone getting dressed, you turn and leave asap or at the very least avert your eyes and pretend like you didn't see anything. This lady did neither, so that means she liked what she saw. Be sure to shut your blinds!!

Brian said...

Wendy. I don't know if I would post this on my blog. Perhaps they can read, as well as ask for a pencil. Their behavior seems strange, and I would not let them in in the future.


Papa Daw

Dave said...

Funny . I love it! Did she get pencil sharpened?

✩Molly✩ said...

I have to admit, I'm with Papa Daw on this one. She might be a blog stalker, too! Im going to call you to consider further possibilities with this one, but thanks again papa and Tutu for that sharpener, I feel you on that.

Dixiechick said...

Oh my gosh. Thank you for the laugh. Too dang funny!! Your writing style is awesome. I think it would be good if she did run across your blog and realize what a weird-o she is. Hello, personal space, have you heard of it? Yikes. Sounds like you handled it smashingly though. Good job.

TuTu said...

Point #1: There are crazies out there.
Point #2: No more can the boys open the door before checking with Mom/Dad.
Point #3: Now is the time to make things "even steven." Remember ALL of those little annoying things that men do? Well, it's time for the man of the house to "man-up" and walk over and set the parameters. The first time PaPa had to "man-up" was when he had to fire the drunk that took our money and was supposed to stucco our 1st home. As PaPa said, "I HATE being the man!" Since that time, he still hates being the man, at times, but he does it without reservation now. Anyway, you may want to make some cookies (NOT laced with exlax), and have Brian deliver them when he delivers his MANifesto!

SUGGESTIONS FOR THE NEW NEIGHBOR:
a) NEVER enter someone's home without the parent inviting you in;
b) NEVER cop a peek at the homeowner's boodie or above;
c) NEVER knock on a door before 10:00 a.m. or after 7:00 p.m.--babies(or nurses who work all night), may be sleeping;
c) MOVE IMMEDIATELY! You are OUTNUMBERED and even more terrifying-- we have THREE BOYS!

Good luck, kids!

Jill said...

AAHHH!! I think I've met this neighbor too. Older, heavier, dyed blond hair and weird blue eyeliner job?

She knocked on my door the other day when I was trying to get Ember ready for her ballet recital. She had my package from Fed Ex and claimed it was delivered to her house because she got a Fed Ex package too. Isn't a signature required for those? Was she hanging out at my house and said "I'll sign for that" when the FedEx guy pulled up? I don't believe she got a package on the same day as me and both were delivered to her house. She wanted IN... she wanted to see where I LIVED... she kept asking me of she could climb the trees and pick some fruit!!! Is this woman completely nuts? I'm no longer leaving my front door unlocked during the day, and I'm watching like a hawk for my kids to walk home from school. Yikes!

✩Molly✩ said...

laughing extremely hard a Jill's comment. ok maybe this lady is an utter nut job! lol!

Lana said...

Creepy weirdo. I guess we normal people just take being normal for granted. Sigh. Waiting outside the door until a child gets the parent to come to the door...what kind of grown-up doesn't know that's what you do?? Someone who wants to use knives to sharpen pencils before 8 a.m. I would, for sure, be locking the door and having a special Home Evening for the kids on weirdo's and boundaries. :)

Sarah S. Foote said...

Yikes. Thanks for the entertainment, I'm just sorry it was at your expense.

Nikki said...

Oh my heck, I'm laughing pretty hard right now. You're writing skills amaze me.

I would be really creeped out and uncomfortable with that lady. I'm sure little Bri has rules now about opening the door to CRAZY NEIGHBOR!!

Anonymous said...

This has just been an adventure in fun reading! Ditto to so many things already said. We live in a different world these days, where the common boundaries don't seem to be acknowledged. Love, Mom

Kim said...

I don't know what I would have done. Just kidding, I already told you what I do, I get paralized! Still amazing that someone out there does that. What a great begining to a long day, huh??

Allyson & Jere said...

Well that is certainly crazy talk. It's a good thing you're about the nicest person around and I'm sureyou handled it with such pinache. I might have kicked her in the face, and by kicking her in the fact I mean, stared her down and been icey cold mean. Anyway, so crazy. Glad all are safe and this valuable lesson has been learned to teach your kids about creepy neighbors and keep the door locked! Good luck with loony looky lou across the street.

✩Molly✩ said...

lol.. laughing at Allyson now.

Amy Kaylor Photography said...

Goodness gracious! My neighbors know NOT to come over before 8am or after 6pm cuz they will inevitably catch me in my "loungewear" and it ain't pretty!! Hilarious post!!!

Robert Choate said...

That was a funny story. Thanks for the laugh. You always have these entertaining posts to read. Put a chain lock up high so the kids can't open the door to unexpected guests. Thats what we did.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.